Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cambridge


What a delight these bonus days are!

After exploring Worcester and leaving our kind friends we finally boarded the train and travelled to Paddington. As there was still no news from Thai, we continued our journey to Cambridge.


Many moons ago we spent some part of each weekend in this universtity city as it was where we attended church. Admittedly it was a little strange returning without our children and without the Q's, a family with whom we share many happy memories of combined family meals, travels, sleep-overs and holidays, but the Q's returned to the States a day or two before we went back to Australia.

Happily though, we discovered that another family who returned to Canada at the same time, are now back in Cambridge and how wonderful to see them again! Conversation flowed thick and fast and the time passed quickly with laughter and memories - it was such a treat to see the C's again - thanks J and H!


It is difficult to describe Cambridge but here is a little glimpse into our time here ...


After seeing posters advertising a special 'Arts and Crafts' related exhibition at the Fitzwilliam Museum, we arrived five minutes before a lunchtime recital. Arnold Dolmetsch was a friend of William Morris, Burne Jones etc. but his specialty was music. He, like the others, was inspired by the medieval times and composed many pieces. We had the thrill of hearing his grand-daughter and 'The Honorary Keeper of the Music' play ... she on recorder and he on harpsichord. My absolute favourite was a beautiful version of 'Greensleeves', so hauntingly beautiful and reminiscent of earlier days.


Then I went to the exhibition. My, oh my ... the breathtaking beauty of the medieval manuscipts, the illuminated letters, gorgeous illustrations and then to see similiar, more recent books from the Arts and Crafts movement - including some published by the Kelmscott Press. Stunning and so inspiring. Book after beautiful book was on display - and as I didn't bring my fountain pen with me on this trip, I had to go and buy one! I must admit though I was pleased to see a manuscript in William Morris' own hand - it looked quite normal and had crossings-out - that was encouraging as although I can write neatly when necessary, my everyday handwriting can be quite messy!


I won't say anything about the architecture, the clear winter skies, the bicycles, the streets and laneways, the markets, the concerts, the festive Christmas air ... well maybe I will another time, but I will say we met up with another friend, an Australian and one of John's former colleagues, who is currently Dean at one of the colleges and who gave us a little glimpse into life at the university.

It's good to be back.

No comments: